Minutes of the Meeting of the San Fernando Valley Engineer’s Council




Дата канвертавання24.04.2016
Памер54.37 Kb.

Minutes of the Meeting of the

San Fernando Valley Engineer’s Council

Board of Directors

Numero Uno Pizza

Sherman Oaks
Monday, February 9, 2004
The meeting was attended by Directors Ken Futernick, Mike Garland, John Guarrera, Chuck Olsefsky, and Bob Tarn.
Guests: SHPE/SFV members Sam Fernandez and Juan Aguirre, and teachers/mentors from Canoga Park High School Debbie Bennett & Katerina Chalkidou.
The meeting was called to order by the President, Bob Tarn at 6:28 pm., with introductions made around the table.
Agenda

The agenda, which was distributed with the meeting notice, was reviewed. After review by those present, it was approved with the addition of several new correspondance items introduced by Bob.


Minutes of Previous Board Meeting

The minutes of the January 12, 2004, BOD meeting were approved without modification.


Treasurers Report

Treasurer’s reports for the months of December, 2003, and January, 2004, were distributed by Mike Garland. The reports were accepted for audit.


Correspondence

Bob distributed the following correspondence for information/discussion.



  • Incoming: DRAFT letter agreement from LMAC legal department re: use of Skunk Works logo on Kelly Johnson Award. The officers have agreed to accept the terms of the agreement proposed by LMAC, and the BOD concurred.

  • Incoming: Memo from S. T. Mau, accepting his election to the BOD as Honorary Chairman.

  • Incoming: Thank you memo from Victoria Yeager re: gratis General Yeager Foundation ad in the souvenir program.

  • Outgoing: Another memo to Sean O’Keefe’s office (Denise Young, NASA/HQ) asking for a response to our invitation to be the 2004 Keynote Speaker. Bob reported still no response from the Adminisrator.

Outgoing: Example of memo’s sent to member organization representatives requesting paid advertising in the souvenir program.






Affiliation Activities

Guests Sam Fernandez and Juan Aguirre discussed their efforts to get the SHPE/SFV section re-activated. They hope to purchase a section table at the banquet.



Board Membership

Bob discussed his efforts to recruit representation from the ASQ/SFV, and for a second representative from the AIAA/SFV. Since Bob was previously elected Director-at-Large representing the AIAA/SFV, but is now serving as Council President, the board agreed that a second Director-at-Large would be beneficial.


Mike Garland distributed copies of our certificate of insurance for Directors & Officers Insurance.
Bob Reviewed the list of Trustees, which have been serving as permanent lifetime members of the BOD. Many have not been active, or have even responded to any correspondence regarding council business. The BOD voted to change the positions of the following inactive Trustees to Honorary Members of the Board, affective immediately:
William F. Hassel

Walter Koehler

Jim Ritchey

Charles Sanders

Robert Vaughn


Standing Committees
Charitable Giving Committee Report

The status of the Higginbotham Fund was reviewed. With 33% participation by board members, the fund is now up to $7,190. It was decided that a letter to all directors is needed to encourage the remaining 67% to participate with a personal contribution of any amount. Checks are to be made payable to the CSUN Foundation, and given to Mike Garland.


Mike reported that no additional member organizations have provided logo’s for the 'MATH COUNTS' T-shirts, so he will get them made again this year with the SFVEC logo.
Bob asked for a board member to volunteer to organize the high school scholarship program this year. Ken Futernick offered to do this, so Bob provided the records of last years’ programs to him.
Debbie Bennett and Katerina Chalkidou discussed their needs for mentors at Canoga Park High School. The particularly need engineers who will visit the classrooms to describe what it is like to be an engineer; many of the students do not know, since many are the first in their families to graduate from high school. The Explorer Post also needs mentors who are skilled at model rocket building/launching. Bob offered to provide contact information for Boeing engineers who worked with the Explorers when Boeing sponsored the group. After their presentation to the BOD, Debbie and Katerina were excused from the meeting.
Communications Committee Report

Ken Futernick presented a symposium promotion plan that will involve repeated communications with the council contact list, including telephone calls. The board also discussed the request from the Banquet Planning Committee for a newspaper article in the Community Section. Ken agreed to pursue a press release to the Daily News, but expressed doubt that would help. Bob agreed to provide names and telephone numbers of council contacts to Ken for his telephone contact approach.


Symposium Planning Committee Report

Bob reported that the laser pointers (gifts to our speakers) were received by Werner Roestel, and that Charlie Volk was planning to obtain ribbons for volunteers to wear on their name badges. Due to the minimum order size for these ribbons, he offered their use at the banquet, and we decided they would be good for the student/check in volunteers. John Guarrera and Bob Tarn will get the names of the student volunteers and check-in table volunteers to Charlie so that badges can be made for them. Minutes of the Jan 14 Symposium Planning Committee Meeting were introduced to be incorporated into the minutes of this BOD Meeting.


Honors & Awards Committee Report

The BOD decided to invite Explorer Post #3142 mentors Debbie Bennett & Katerina Chalkidou, and their guest, to the banquet for public recognition by the council. Bob took the action to send invitations to them.


Mike Garland reported that he was able to get a large garage space at the storage facility for the rest of the month for $16. This will provide adequate space for awards assembly. The BOD congratulated Mike on such an affordable solution to the problem of where we would assemble awards this year. Mike needs volunteers to help with awards assembly, so he will be calling upon board members.
Although frames for this year have already been purchased for ~$1,300, Bob presented a proposal from Boeing’s certificate printer for award assembly, including frames. The BOD found the price to be very attractive (~$1000 for frames and assembly), particularly since we would then avoid ~$700 in annual storage costs for framing materials. The Boeing arrangement with the vendor will not permit them to bill the council, so Boeing would be asked to pay for the certificate framing costs. The souvenir program is printed by a Boeing vendor that can bill the council directly, so the council will ask to pick up that cost. The net result will be almost a “wash”, but with much less work to do by the BOD during the week before the banquet. We will definitely go this route next year.
Banquet Planning Committee Report

Keynote speaker Sean O’Keefe has not responded to the council’s invitation. We discussed our backup (Doug Pearson), and it was decided to invite him to be our Keynote. Bob Tarn took the action to contact Gen. Pearson’s office immediately with that request.


The BOD reviewed the list of present board members, and it was decided to invite them all to the banquet, as guests of the council. Bob Tarn took the action to send these invitations.
We reviewed expected table purchases. The total purchased table count is 56, and the council overhead table count, including volunteer seating, is 4. The total banquet attendance is expected to be 600. There are possibilities of the SME/SFV, IEEE/Los Angeles Council, and SHPE/SFV buying more than we are counting on, so there is an upside potential of 63 tables. Maximum banquet capacity is 64 tables.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:15 PM.

Respectfully submitted by:


Chuck Olsefsky, Director-at-Large, IEEE/SFV

Bob Tarn, Council President, AIAA/SFV, FIAE



4/23/2016
























































































Phone Conference Information:


Call-in number: 1-877-602-8687

ID: 6142621#
Discussion

A meeting of the symposium planning committee was conducted by phone on 18 November 2003. Attendees at this meeting were:
Charles Volk

Werner Roestel
Agenda

The agenda for this meeting was as follows:

Finalization of the Brochure

Plans for brochure distribution

Update of the speaker list

Discussion of the Professional Development Session

Discussion of the Offer by the SME

Symposium Logistics

Other Business
Brochure

The brochure is complete and ready of approval by the Engineers’ Council Board. Werner agreed to put some finishing touches on the document and create a companion Word document that could be e-mail and opened by individuals who do not possess Microsoft Publisher. C. Volk agreed to gain Board approval before the brochure is distributed.

Brochure Distribution

As discussed previously, once the board approves the brochure, C. Volk will distribute to both the Symposium Planning Committee members and the Council Board. It is requested that each member of the two groups distribute the brochure through available and appropriate e-mail lists. The plan would be to monitor the response for two weeks to determine whether there would be any need for a mailing.
Speakers:

The current list is as follows:





Name

Affiliation

Title of Presentation Received

Abstract of Presentation Received

1

Tony Laviano

Raytheon

Yes

Yes

2

Mike Bronkowski

JPL

Yes

Yes

3

Mihail Petkov

CalTech

Yes

Yes

4

John Starkovitch

Northrop Grumman

No

No

5

Allan Hopkins

?

No

No

6

Linda Vanasupa

Cal Poly SLO

No

No

7













8














I believe that once we get the brochure into circulation, it will not be difficult to complete the speaker list.
Offer by the SME

Ray Straub has brough the following proposal to the attention of the Board and the Planning Committee:

























































































Phone Conference Information:


Call-in number: 1-877-602-8687

ID: 6142621#
Discussion

A meeting of the symposium planning committee was conducted by phone on 2 December 2003. Attendees at this meeting were:
Charles Volk

Werner Roestel

Bob Tarn

Ramin Roosta
Agenda

The agenda for this meeting was as follows:

Status of the distribution of the brochure

Status of the speaker list

Discussion of the SME offer and the Professional Development Session

Logistics


Brochure Distribution

Bob Tarn has sent out the link to the brochure to the people on the Engineers’ Council contact list.
Werner Roestel has sent the link to the AIAA contact person and will follow up to insure that it has indeed gone out.
Ramin Roosta agreed to send it out to the IEEE San Fernando Valley members. It was agreed that it would be best to come from the IEEE.
C. Volk reported that he has put the brochure into a Technology Newsletter that he does for Northrop Grumman and will be also distribute it to other contacts within the corporation in the Los Angeles area.
Bob Tarn will look into how to distribute within Boeing and further will contact Paul Landry about doing a distribution in Lockheed Martin.
Finally we are looking to Ken Futernick to distributed to SME members.
Bob also agreed that he would request the Council Board members to each distribute the Symposium information in any appropriate means that they might have available to them.
Speakers:

The current list is as follows:





Name

Affiliation

Title of Presentation Received

Abstract of Presentation Received

1

Tony Laviano

Raytheon

Yes

Yes

2

Mike Bronkowski

JPL

Yes

Yes

3

Mihail Petkov

CalTech

Yes

Yes

4

John Starkovitch

Northrop Grumman

No

No

5

Allan Hopkins

The Aerospace Corp

Yes

Yes

6

Linda Vanasupa

Cal Poly SLO

Yes

Yes

7

Thomas George

JPL/NASA

No

No

8

L. Douglas Bell

JPL/CalTech

Yes

Yes


C. Volk reported that he had sent out seven additional letters seeking speakers; four of these letters went to USC and three to UCR. The specific request were sent to the following people:
Assistant Professor Changwu Zhou USC

Professor Anupam Madhukar USC

Professor P. Daniel Dapkus USC

Professor Ari Requicha USC

Assistant Professor Mihri Ozcan UCR

Accociate Professor Alex Balandin UCR

Associate Professor Yushan Yan UCR
(After this meeting I received confirmation from Mihri Ozcan that he is willing to speak and thus we have now nine speakers)

Offer by the SME

It was agreed to delay the decision on the offer from the SME for two weeks during which time we would determine whether enough speakers signed up to justify a technology session on Saturday morning and thus dropping the Professional Development session.

Symposium Logistics

C. Volk agreed to put together a list of the other details that we need to consider for the symposium and make this the subject of the next conference call. One idea that was agreed to was to provide each speaker with a token gift of a Laser-pointer/pen. Werner agreed to look into the cost of this item.

Website

Bob Tarn agreed to add the hotel information to the website.


База данных защищена авторским правом ©shkola.of.by 2016
звярнуцца да адміністрацыі

    Галоўная старонка