HERPTOLOGY KEY (corrected) Station I siren
1. Write the scientific name of this specimen (siren lacertian) 2. To which order do these belong? Caudata 3. The most distinguishing feature of this family of amphibians is
a. external gills
b. presence of costal grooves
c. absence of hind limbs
d. rounded tail
4. All members of this class have
a. a two chambered heart
b. a three chambered heart
c. a four chambered heart
Station II(Marbled salamander) 5. The name of the family of this specimen is
Station III(Eastern spadefoot) 9. The family of this specimen is _________________ pelobatidae 10. This family of toads has a distinguishing feature on its hind feet called _______ spade 11. With the feature from #10 above, this animal
c. captures prey
12. This specimen is
c. both nocturnal and diurnal
13. A distinguishing feature of these toads is
a. a vertical contracted pupil
b. feet that are not webbed
c. smooth and warty skin
d. large tongue
14. Which feature of this class of animals makes it particularly vulnerable to pollutants?
Station IV mudpuppy 15. To which family does this specimen belong? Proteidae 16. A unique feature of this animal is its retention of a larval feature as an adult. Name this noticeable feature__________ exterior gills 17. Does this animal feed at night or during the day? night 18. Where the water is less pure and oxygenated, these animals have
a. thinner skin
b. more porous skin
c. shorter external gills
d. they don’t live in muddy water
Station V alligator 19. To which order and family does this specimen belong? Crocodylia alligatoridae
20. How is this animal recognized and distinguished from the other family of large scaled animals in this order? Shape of snout is broader
21. How does this animal, by its common habits, assist the ecology of its environment during times of drought? Digs deep holes that fill with water.
22. What are the two main activities of humans that have greatly reduced the numbers of these animals in many areas? Poaching/overharvesting and destruction of habitat
Station VI snapping turtle 23. To which family does this specimen belong? Chelydridae 24. The common name of this animal describes what unique feature?
a. strong scent
b. shell shape and color
c. favorite habitat
d. powerful jaws
25. What is the temperament of the members of this family?
a. reticent and shy
c. communal cooperation
Station VII tree frog/peeper 26. What is the genus and common name of this cute little frog? Hyla /peeper/treefrog 27. What is the name of the larval form of the members of this order? tadpole 28. Is the vocal sac of the males of this genus double or single? single 29. What is a major difference between frogs and toads?
a. egg mass type
b. length of tadpole development
Station VIIIscarlet milk snake 30. To which genus does this animal belong? lampropeltis 31. In which way does it kill its prey?
46. This animal is primarily found in which of the United States __________ Florida
47. The greatest threat to this animal's survival is
c. over collecting for pet stores
d. overdevelopment in native habitat
Station XIIsoft shelled turtle 48. The family of this animal is ____________ trionychidae 49. It is able to stay under water for long periods of time partly because
a. it absorbs oxygen through the skin