A.1. Screening of elite phytochemical-producing clonal lines
Concept Papers and Reviews
1. Shetty, K. (l997). Biotechnology to harness the benefits of dietary phenolics; Focus on Lamiaceae. Asia Pacific J. Clinical Nutrition, 6:162-171.
2. Shetty, K and McCue, P. (2003). Phenolic antioxidant biosynthesis in plants for functional food application: Integration of Systems Biology and Biotechnological Approaches. Food Biotechnology, 17:67-97.
3. Shetty, K. (2004) Role of proline-linked pentose phosphate pathway in biosynthesis of plant phenolics for functional food and environmental applications; A review. Process Biochemistry, 39:789-804.
4. Shetty, K and Wahlqvist, M.L. (2004) A model for the role of proline-linked pentose phosphate pathway in phenolic phytochemical biosynthesis and mechanism of action for human health and environmental applications; A Review. Asia Pacific J. Clinical Nutrition, 13: 1-24.
1. Shetty, K. (1999) Phytochemicals: Biotechnology of phenolic phytochemicals for food preservatives and functional food applications. In: Wiley Encyclopedia of Food Science and Technology, 2nd Edition, Edited by F.J.Francis, Wiley Publishers, NY. pgs.1901-1909.
2. Shetty, K. (2001). Biosynthesis of rosmarinic acid and applications in medicine. In: The Use and Validation of Natural Products and Medicinal Plants in Medicine [L. Nolan and L.C. Craker (eds)]. Published by Food Products Press (Haworth Press, Inc.) In: J. Herbs Spices and Medicinal Plants, Vol. 8: 161-181.
Publications (Peer-Reviewed Journals)
1. Shetty, K., Curtis, O.F., Levin, R.E., Witkowsky, R. and Ang, W. (l995). Prevention of vitrification associated with in vitro shoot culture of oregano (Origanum vulgare) by Pseudomonas spp. J. Plant Physiol., 147:447-451.
2. Shetty, K., Curtis, O.F. and Levin, R.E. (l996). Specific interaction of mucoid strains of Pseudomonas spp. with oregano (Origanum vulgare) clones and the relationship to prevention of hyperhydricity in tissue culture. J. Plant Physiol., 149: 605-611.
3. Shetty, K., Carpenter, T.L., Kwok, D., Curtis, O.F. and Potter, T.L. (l996). Selection of high phenolics-containing clones of thyme (Thymus vulgaris L.) using Pseudomonas spp. J. Agric. Food Chem., 44:3408-3411.
4. Eguchi, Y., Curtis, O.F. and Shetty, K. (l996). Interaction of hyperhydricity-preventing Pseudomonas spp. with oregano (Origanum vulgare) and selection of high rosmarinic acid-producing clones. Food Biotechnology, 10:191-202.
5. Kwok, D. and Shetty, K. (1996). Pseudomonas spp-mediated regulation of total phenolics and rosmarinic acid in thyme (Thymus vulgaris) clonal lines. J. Food Biochemistry, 20:365-377.
6. Yang, R., Curtis, O.F. and Shetty, K. (l997). Selection of high rosmarinic acid-producing clonal lines of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) via tissue culture using Pseudomonas sp. Food Biotechnology, 11:73-88.
7. Kwok, D. and Shetty, K. (l998). Effect of proline and proline analogs on total phenolic and rosmarinic acid levels in shoot clones of thyme (Thymus vulgaris L.). J. Food Biochemistry, 22:37-51.
8. Yang,R. and Shetty, K. (1998) Stimulation pf rosmarinic acid in shoot cultures of oregano(Origanum vulgare) clonal line in response to proline, proline analog and proline precursors. J.Agric.Food Chem., 46:2888-2893.
9. Andarwulan,N., and Shetty,K. (1999) Phenolic synthesis in differentiated tissue cultures of untransformed and Agrobacterium-transformed roots of anise (Pimpinella anisum L.). J.Agric.Food Chem., 47:1776-1780.
10. Perry,P.L. and Shetty, K. (1999) A model for involvement of proline during Pseudomonas-mediated stimulation of rosmarinic acid. Food Biotechnology, 13:137-154.
11. Al-Amier, H., Mansour, B.M.M., Toaima. N., Korus, R.A. and Shetty, K. (1999) Tissue culture-based screening for selection of high biomass and phenolic-producing clonal lines of Lavender using Pseudomonas and azetidine-2--carboxylate. J. Agric.Food Chem., 47:2937-2943.
12. Al-Amier, H., Mansour, B.M.M., Toaima, N. Korus, R.A and Shetty, K. (1999) Screening of high biomass and phenolic-producing clonal lines of Spearmint in tissue culture using Pseudomnas and azetidine-2-carboxylate. Food Biotechnology, 13:227-253.
13. Andarwulan, N. and Shetty, K. (2000) Stimulation of novel phenolic metabolite, epoxy-Psuedoisoeugenol-(2-Methylbutyrate)[EPB], in transformed anise (Pimpinella anisum L.) root cultures by fish protein hydrolysates. Food Biotechnology, 14:1-20.
14. Hussein, A.A., Mansour, B.M.M., Toaima, N., Craker, L. and Shetty, K. (2001) Tissue culture for phenolics and rosmarinic acid in thyme J. Herbs, Spices and Medicinal Plants, 8:31-42.
15. Seaberg, A., Labbe, R.L. and Shetty, K. (2003) Inhibition of Listeria monocytogenes by elite clonal extracts of oregano (Origanum vulgare). Food Biotechnology, 17: 129-149.
Chun, S-S., Vattem, D.A., Lin, Y-T. and Shetty, K. (2004) Phenolic antioxidants from clonal oregano (Origanum vulgare) with antimicrobial activity against Helicobacter pylori. Process Biochemistry, In press.
17. McCue, P., Vattem, D.A. and Shetty, K. (2004) Inhibitory effect of clonal oregano extracts against porcine pancreatic amylase in vitro. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, In press.