"The Food of the Gods"
In this lesson we will be visiting a web site about the history of chocolate.
1. Class discussion: What is this ( realia)? Do you like chocolate? What kinds of chocolate-flavored things do you eat? Can you imagine a time when only rich people had chocolate? Who were the first people to use chocolate? How is chocolate made? cultivated?
2. Go to the article "Chocolate History and Cocoa." ( http://www.cadbury.co.uk/EN/CTB2003/about_chocolate/history_chocolate/) Write short answers or definitions for:
a. the origins of chocolate
b. a much prized spicy drink
c. He brought the first cocoa beans back to Europe around 1503.
d. the explorer who first realized the commercial value of cocoa beans
3. Click on "Cocoa and Maya Civilisation." (http://www.cadbury.co.uk/EN/CTB2003/about_chocolate/history_chocolate/cocoa_maya.htm )Write short answers or definitions for:
a. the Maya still live there
b. the date cocoa was "discovered"
c. wild cocoa trees grew there
d. chocolatl was made from these
e. other uses of cocoa beans (4)
f. number of cocoa beans needed to buy a rabbit.
4. Click on "The Aztec Empire." (http://www.cadbury.co.uk/EN/CTB2003/about_chocolate/history_chocolate/aztecs.htm)
Scan the article and write short answers or definitions for:
a. the name of the Aztec city
b. the description of chocolatl
c. How did the Aztecs obtain cocoa beans?
d. What is tribute?
e. the Aztec god particularly associated with cocoa beans
f. What did the ancient Indian myth say about this god?
g. Who did the Aztecs think that Cortes was?
5. Click on "Don Cortes." (http://www.cadbury.co.uk/EN/CTB2003/about_chocolate/history_chocolate/cortes.htm)
A. Fill in the following paragraph.
"The voyage which led ______ to discover ______ and the ______ began in ______ when he set sail from _____ with ___ships and ___ men, all seeking fame and fortune in the _____ ______.Landing on the Mexican ______ near ________, he decided to make his way to______________ to see for himself the famed riches of the ________ __________ and _______ empire."
B. Complete the following:
1) Moctezuma served chocolatl in a _______ ________.
2) The Aztec civilization fell to Cortes in _______.
3) Cortes returned to Spain in_______.
4) Chocolate became a fashionable drink in Spain enjoyed by _______.
6. Click on "Chocolate Across Europe." (http://www.cadbury.co.uk/EN/CTB2003/about_chocolate/history_chocolate/chocolate_europe.htm)
a. A Spanish version of the chocolate drink was devised by __________.
b. The Spanish version included ______, ______, ______, and omitted _____,
and was served ______.
c. The recipe was a closely guarded secret for a _____________.
d. Chocolate was established in 1606 in __________, in 1615 in __________,
in Holland during the _____ century, in 1646 in __________ and in the 1650's
7. What new information about chocolate surprised or interested you the most?
8. Which language connects the Aztec term chocolatl to the English word chocolate?
9. Choose one of the following projects:
A. Teach the rhyme CHO-CO-LA-TE to a parent or sibling. Explain the origin of chocolate to them. Bring a parent signature to verify.
B. Read the bilingual fable A Tale of Chocolate. Show the pictures to the class and retell the tale in your own words.
C. Prepare Chocolate Mexicano to serve to the class. See your teacher for the recipe or where to buy IBARRA brand chocolate. Ask an adult to help you.
D. Color the graphic "Quetzalcoatl". Write a paragraph describing the Aztec god's connection to the Spanish conquest of Mexico.
E. In a group of 4 or 5, prepare a 4-6 frame dramatic tableau. Introduce each tableau with an appropriate description. Include the following scenes:
Teacher lesson plan
LEVEL: Spanish Exploratory
GRADE LEVEL: 6
Computer with access to world wide web (or printout of text)
Resource books: A Tale of Chocolate; The Aztec Empire (see-through book)
Realia: molinillo, chocolate kisses, Chocolate IBARRA, recipe for chocolate mexicano.
"Chocolate" rhyme (http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ld/projects/ninos/songsrhymes.html#chocolate)
Share chocolate kisses with students. Show molinillo. Discuss first worksheet question.
Have students find web site on computer to read articles and answer worksheet questions three to nine.
Have students choose a project from worksheet item ten.