|Life Science Name:
Computer Activity: Arthropods Period:
Problem: What are the characteristics of Arthropods?
A. Log onto my webpage.
B. Click on today's website.
C. Click on "Start Here".
D. Introducing the Arthropods:
1. What percent of all described animal species are
2. Arthropods got their start how many million years
E. Click on "Next": Sheer numbers
3. How many insects are alive at any time?
4. How many ants are alive on the planet at any time?
5. What are the most abundant animals in the ocean?
F. Click on "Next": Habitat and distribution
6. What crustacean lives on the underside of the Arctic
7. How deep can some crabs live and what harsh environ-
ment do they live near?
8. How large can Scolopendra gigantea get?
9. What mountain does the jumping spider live on and
how high is this mountain?
10. What ant can withstand the extreme heat of the
11. What arthropod is one of the few animals native to
G. Click on "Next": Ecological niches
12. What are underwater "service stations"?
13. How do trapdoor spiders determine when prey
is passing overhead?
14. Where does Cymothoa exigua live and what does it
15. How long does it take a locust swarm to strip a field
16. What type of ant has its own fungal farm?
H. Click on "Next": Arthropods: A success story
17. List four reasons why arthropods are successful:
I. Click on "Next": What is an arthropod?-read the page
J. Click on "Next": The five branches of the arthropod tree
18. Modern arthropods include what five types of
K. Click on "Next": Inherited characteristics
19. What are the five characteristics of arthropods?
L. Click on "Next": Bilateral (left/right) symmetry
20. What is bilateral symmetry?
21. What is radial symmetry?
22. Give an example of an animal with bilateral symmet-
ry, radial symmetry, and no symmetry:
23. Click on each animal in the blue box. Which ones
have bilateral symmetry?
M. Click on "Next": Segmented body
24. What is an arthropods body divided into?
25. Click on the animals in the blue box. Which ones are
N. Click on "Next": Hard exoskeleton
26. What is a third character of all arthropods?
27. What is an arthropods exoskeleton made of?
28. Is the exoskeleton living or nonliving and what
29. In what two ways does an exoskeleton help an
30. In order to grow, what must an arthropod do?
31. Click on the animals in the blue box. Which ones
have a hard exoskeleton?
O. Click on "Next": Jointed legs
32. What is the fourth characteristic that all arthropods
33. All arthropods have ____________________ limbs.
34. Click on the animals in the blue box. Which ones
have jointed legs?
P. Click on "Next": Many pairs of limbs
35. What is a fifth characteristic of all arthropods?
36. Arthropods have __________________ specialized
for different _______________________.
37. Click on the animals in the blue box. Which ones
have many pairs of limbs?
Q. Click on "Next": An arthropod checklist. Complete the
checklist and submit your answer.
R. Click on "Next": A closer look at the arthropod branches
38. What are the five major groups of arthropods?
S. Click on "insects".
39. What are the five characteristics of insects?
40. Give three examples of insects:
T. Click on "chelicerates".
41. What are the four characteristics of chelicerates?
42. Give three examples of chelicerates:
U. Click on "crustaceans".
43. What are the three characteristics of crustaceans?
44. Give three examples of crustaceans:
V. Click on "myriapods".
45. What are the three characteristics of myriapods?
46. Give two examples of myriapods: