Minutes of a meeting of the Council of the European Badminton Union and European International Badminton Federation Council Members Venue: Hotel Van der Valk Vught in Den Bosch/Netherlands Date and timing: Sunday 9 April 2006 from 15: 00 to




Дата канвертавання21.04.2016
Памер22.24 Kb.


Minutes of a meeting of the Council of the European Badminton Union and European International Badminton Federation Council Members

Venue: Hotel Van der Valk Vught in Den Bosch/Netherlands

Date and timing: Sunday 9 April 2006 from 15:00 to 17:00

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Presence and apologies

The meeting was chaired by:

Tom Bacher (TBa), President
Present were:

Ritchie Campbell (RC), Vice-President

Jadwiga Slawska-Szalewicz (JSS), Vice-President

Irene Delvai (ID), Director for Circuit Events

João Matos (JM), Director for Public Relations

Mojmir Hnilica (MH), Director for Court Officials

Peter Tarcala (PT), Director for Events

David Cabello (DC), Director for Development.

Horst Kullnigg (HK), Director for Finances, IBF Council Member

Torsten Berg (TBe), IBF Vice-President

Puzant Kassabian (PK), IBF Council Member

Anne Smillie (AS), IBF Council Member

Dieter Kespohl (DK), IBF Council Member
Brian Agerbak (BA), General Secretary

Chris Harvey (CH), Deputy General Secretary


Apologies:

Roger Johansson (RJ), IBF Council Member


Non attendance:

Emilia Fountas (EF), IBF Council Member


2) Chairman’s opening remarks

The Chairman gave his opening remarks and welcomed everybody to the meeting. He informed those present that no formal agenda had been issued before the meeting, but the meeting then collectively formed and agreed an agenda.



3) Russian Issue

HK proposed having the Russian Issue inserted on the agenda for the next IBF Council Meeting. DK suggested that the EBU Council should force IBF to take a decision on the matter. TBa said that EBU and IBF needed to find out the true story within Russia, taking a neutral approach, possibly asking for legal advise and accepting the consequences. TBa proposed writing to IBF as a matter of urgency to solve the issue.

AS proposed that the EBU Council should take control of the situation and investigate. TBa reinforced that EBU did not wish to interfere with IBF business, as this was an IBF membership issue, but was willing to cooperate with IBF in finding a solution. TBe confirmed that the membership issue was a matter for IBF to handle. TBe proposed that EBU offer assistance to IBF for a fact finding mission in Russia. TBa concluded the discussion and confirmed that the subject would be raised in meetings with IBF officers in Tokyo, Japan in May 2006.

4) Scoring System

TBa felt that the discussion on the scoring system during the Policy Meeting had been worthwhile, but concluded that the majority of Members were not in favour nor against adopting the new scoring system. TBa suggested that more time was required to carry out further studies and that delaying a decision until an EGM later in the year could be a possibility. TBa urged the European IBF Councillors to express the concern of the European Member Associations during the next IBF Council meetings.

RC expressed concern for three factors with the scoring system. 1. Only one system was being tested and that this was being forced on Members, 2. Is the rally point system the preferred method? 3. Is 21 points the correct number of points to play to?

A discussion then followed regarding the best method to raise these concerns to IBF. It was agreed to ask for a meeting with top representatives of IBF and EBU before the IBF AGM on 6 May.



5) Future IBF Funding

TBa commented that EBU wished to present budgets for a longer period of time, but that it was difficult as there is currently no indication from IBF what their policy would be for distributing the Olympic revenues after the Beijing 2008 Games. An ASOIF official had informed TBa that the same formula for distributing IOC revenues to the IFs was expected to be used in 2008 as in 2004. TBa asked IBF to raise this issue with the IOC. HK added that EBU was not happy with receiving US$250,000 in the first year followed by a decreasing scale in the successive years. HK would like to see the same high amount awarded to each CC every year. HK commented that as an IBF Finance Committee Member he had asked for details of finances from the other continents. Only Europe was submitting detailed accounts, this raised the question how other CCs received their IBF grant without providing documentation. TBe informed that the accounts for other CCs had recently been received and that they would be available soon. HK answered by stating that many financial items from IBF were not available and that grants from the Malaysian Government and Malaysian Airways were not shown in the financial accounts. TBa wished IBF to have more transparency with these matters. TBe suggested that HK meet with Tong Wai Lun (TWL) to discuss these issues. AS proposed having an informal meeting in Tokyo with TWL, HK, TBe and AS.



6) Funding for Thomas Cup/Uber Cup Preliminaries

TBa asked the question whether other CCs could stage their preliminary event without the support of IBF funding. TBa added that all continental qualifying events had to take place and asked what the formula was for deciding the size of the financial grant awarded to each CC. TBa asked the European IBF Councillors to raise this concern as a principal matter in the next IBF Council meeting.



7) IBF / IOC Relations

TBa stressed the importance of a similar Olympic project being coordinated by IBF as in 2004 for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. TBa added that badminton’s worldwide lobbying was currently not effective enough. TBa stated that as 60% of the IOC membership is based within Europe, it makes sense for IBF to involve Europe more in it’s IOC relations. TBa felt that it was a serious mistake not to have any IBF presence at the Turin 2006 Winter Olympic Games.

PK added that EF was present at the Turin 2006 Olympic Games. TBe responded that EF was not there in an IBF capacity and did not stay in the official IOC hotels so was unable to carry out any effective lobbying. TBe added that IOC relations need to be a coordinated effort and that PG does not need to take on this responsibility with all of his other tasks.

TBa felt that RJ could need some assistance as Chair of the IOC/UN Affairs Committee and suggested that RJ involve TBe more. TBa offered to help in this area as he still had good relations with IOC members. AS commented that this was another subject that could be raised in the informal meeting with IBF in Tokyo.



8) Changes in the IBF Constitution

HK asked for clarification on the investigation being carried out by the IBF lawyer. TBe replied that the lawyer was investigating what was required to be registered as a corporate sports organisation in Malaysia. TBe added that it could be necessary to have a constitution agreement agreed by the IBF Membership in the next AGM to satisfy the Malaysian authorities. RC asked to see the final document before the final approval so that any amendments, if necessary, could still be made.



9) Future meetings with the European IBF Councillors

TBe proposed that the meetings should take place two times per year. TBa commented that cost was the key issue and proposed that one of the meetings should always be alongside the EBU ADM. RC said that he felt the forum was developing well but would like to see better two-way communications. RC suggested that the IBF Councillors should bring more information and news to EBU. TBe proposed that only a small group of IBF/EBU may be necessary to meet at the second meeting in the year.

DK asked why no minutes from the previous EBU Council meeting had been received as this had been agreed at the last meeting in Kuala Lumpur. TBa confirmed that notes from future EBU Council meetings would be sent to all European IBF Councillors.

10) IBF AGM preparation

TBe suggested that a pre-meeting with PG, TWL and Paisan Rangsikitpho (PR) would be worthwhile and that EBU’s finance representatives should attend the meeting. TBe also added that European Member Associations should try to be well represented in the AGM. HK explained that he had received a list of countries that had not paid their IBF subscription. HK contacted these countries and the explanation for non payment was that no invoice had been received. HK confirmed that he would follow this up as payment must be made, he would ask for assistance from Sharon in the IBF office.



11) Regionalisation

DK expressed a wish for a Regionalisation working group to be formed. DK’s proposed that Europe be divided into boxes, with developed countries in the same box as less-developed countries. DK commented that many less-developed nations had good ideas that could be considered by developed countries. TBa replied that it was important to assess each Member Associations needs on an individual basis. DK would like to see more top nations care for the lesser nations. TBe suggested that the EBU development committee be increased and use the resources available at high standard facilities available in Milton Keynes (ENG), Saarbruecken (GER), Broendby (DEN) etc. DC replied that he had already considered making the development committer larger, but expressed concern as to what could be achieved with a new structure, that could not be achieved with the existing working practise. TBa agreed that a working group would be formed by EBU to look into the area of Regionalisation.



12) Policy/Strategy

TBe informed the meeting that there should be no difference between IBF and EBU strategies. TBe asked whether there were any clashes between the two organisations policies. RC replied that EBU felt that it was doing all that was being asked by IBF, but stated that it is difficult when there is no clear strategy coming from IBF. TBe said that the lack of IBF strategy should be raised with IBF. RC offered to help write an IBF strategy document. TBa added that the IBF World Plan was not sufficient as a strategy document. HK asked why IBF had still not developed a Coach Education programme. TBa informed the IBF Councillors that EBU now has Coach Education material and asked what IBF has been doing in this area for the last three years. Could this create a possibility for cooperation?



13) Issues for Information

TBe listed specific items that EBU needed to be aware of.



  1. IBF Marketing Committee had been successful recently and would like to have greater cooperation with the CCs.

  2. The audited accounts for Thomas/Uber Cup Preliminaries must be submitted to IBF before 30 April 2006.

  3. Withdrawal fees for tournaments will in future be controlled and handled by the CCs. HK asked that PR therefore sends referee reports with entry regulations for each event.

  4. The contract with Malaysian Airways following the relocation of the IBF Office is not displayed in the IBF end of year accounts. TBa asked whether everything promised by Malaysia in their bid for the IBF office has been delivered.

  5. The administration in Kuala Lumpur will soon be advertising for a Chief Operating Officer.

HK asked that all IBF documents for the Tokyo meetings in May are sent to all Member Associations in good time. HK added that equipment donations to be received from IBF in 2006 were not clear.

AS commented that if European issues needed to be raised within IBF then EBU should feel free to contact the European IBF Councillors. TBe concurred with this suggestion.

TBa concluded the meeting and thanked everyone for attending.

Chris Harvey Deputy General Secretary



Broendby, 24 April 2006




База данных защищена авторским правом ©shkola.of.by 2016
звярнуцца да адміністрацыі

    Галоўная старонка