* Expiration date of the present information circular: 31 December 2016.
To: Members of the staff
From: The Assistant Secretary-General for Human Resources Management
Subject: Official holidays for 2016 at United Nations Headquarters
1. In accordance with General Assembly resolution 52/214 A and decision 52/468, the official holidays for 2016 at United Nations Headquarters have been designated as follows:
1 January New Year’s Day
25 March Good Friday
30 May Memorial Day
4 July Independence Day
6 July Eid al-Fitr
5 September Labour Day
12 September Eid al-Adha
24 November Thanksgiving Day
26 December Christmas Day (observed)
2. The General Assembly, in its resolution 69/250, recognized the significance of a number of other holidays. Accordingly, in the interest of respecting the diversity of the staff of the United Nations, staff members are given the option of observing any one of the following seven floating holidays:
7 January Orthodox Christmas
15 February Presidents’ Day
29 April Orthodox Good Friday
12 October Yom Kippur
20 May Day of Vesak
31 October Diwali
14 November Gurpurab
3. Staff members should inform their supervisors in advance as early in the year as possible of the floating holiday they wish to observe. Managers are to respect the floating holiday chosen by the staff member. If, owing to exigencies of service, a staff member in the General Service and related categories is required to report for work on the date chosen as the floating holiday, the staff member will be recorded as having taken the floating holiday and compensated for overtime worked on an official holiday. Staff in the Professional and higher categories who are required to work on the date chosen as the floating holiday will not be recorded as having taken the floating holiday and may choose to observe one of the remaining floating holidays.
4. Information relating to the process of recording the floating holiday in Umoja will be communicated separately.