|Disabling Pop-up Blockers
To take full advantage of all features of the ILRU CourseAvenue web-based courses, you must disable pop-up blockers on your computer.
There are many pop-up blockers available today. If you are using Microsoft XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2), then your version of Internet Explorer is equipped with a built-in pop-up blocker. Many other browsers, including Netscape and Firefox, also have built-in pop-up blockers. You may also use a toolbar with a built-in pop-up blocker such as Google Toolbar or Yahoo Toolbar.
Disabling Internet Explorer's Pop-up Blocker
To disable pop-ups in Internet Explorer (SP2):
1. On the Internet Explorer top menu click Tools.
2. Then click Pop-up Blocker on the Tools menu.
3. Finally, slide across from Pop-up Blocker and click Turn Off Pop-up Blocker.
To turn your pop-up blocker back on when you complete the web-based module: (Tools –> Pop-up Blocker –> Turn On Pop-up Blocker)
Disabling Netscape’s Pop-up Blocker
Netscape does not block pop-up windows unless you have changed the default settings. If you have already changed the settings in Netscape to block pop-up windows, here is how to disable the pop-up blocker for the ILRU CourseAvenue web-based courses.
To disable pop-up blockers in Netscape 7.1 or 7.2:
1. On the Edit menu click Preferences.
2. Double-click the Privacy & Security category.
3. Uncheck Popup Windows or uncheck Block unrequested popup windows.
4. Click OK.
To disable pop-up blockers in Netscape 8:
1. Click the Security Center button on the right side of the top address bar.
2. Click the Pop-up blocking category.
3. Click the arrow next to the text For this site.
4. Click Allow unrequested pop-up windows.
Disabling Google Toolbar's Pop-up Blocker
To disable pop-ups from the Google Toolbar:
1. Google Toolbar 3.0: Click the Options button on the Google Toolbar.
OR: Google Toolbar 4.0: Click Settings, then Options, then More.
2. On the Toolbar Options window click the Popup Blocker checked-box to uncheck it.
3. Click the OK button at the bottom of the Toolbar Options window.
Google Toolbar 4.0 (and possibly earlier versions) allows you to “white-list” an entire web site. This allows pop-ups to appear on that web site but not on other web sites.
1. Open the site you wish to add to your pop-ups white list.
2. Click the Popup Blocker button on the Google Toolbar. The text on the button now shows Popups okay. This means that this site is on your whitelist and Google will allow pop-ups on this site.
If you want to remove a site from your Google Toolbar whitelist:
1. Go to that site.
2. Click the Popup Blocker button on the Google Toolbar. The text on the button now shows the number of ads the toolbar has blocked for you. This means that the site is no longer on your whitelist and the toolbar will block all future pop-ups from this site.
If you’ve tried both ways to allow pop-ups and you still can’t see the pop-ups, then you must disable the entire Google toolbar while you are enrolled in an ILRU web-based course. Here’s how to disable the entire Google toolbar:
1. Right-click on the Google toolbar.
2. On the drop-down menu click the word Google to un-check it.
When you’ve finished with the ILRU web-based course, you can re-enable your Google toolbar:
1. Right-click on the Google toolbar.
2. On the drop-down menu click the word Google to check it.
Disabling Yahoo Toolbar's Pop-up Blocker
To disable pop-ups from the Yahoo Toolbar:
Click the icon of a window with a shield on the Yahoo toolbar.
Click Enable Pop-Up Blocker to uncheck it.
Disabling Mozilla’s Pop-up Blocker
To disable pop-ups from Mozilla:
Open the Tools menu and click on Options.
Click on the Web Features icon in the list on the left.
Remove the checkmark from beside the Block Popup Windows option.
Click OK to close the window.
Once this is done, then you should be able to use the online system properly. Once you are finished using the online system, you can go back into the menu again to turn on the pop-up blocker.
Disabling Safari 1.2 Pop-up Blocker
To disable pop-ups from Safari 1.2:
Safari's pop-up blocker is integrated into the browser, much like the pop-up blocker for Internet Explorer. To disable the pop-up blocker:
Open the Safari menu and select the Preferences option.
In the window that displays, click on the Security option.
Remove the checkmark from the Block pop-up windows option.
Close the window.
Once this is done, then you should be able to use the online system properly. Once you are finished using the online system, you can go back into the above window again to turn on the pop-up blocker.