1. Which of the following is a characteristic unique to the phylum Loricifera?
B. Small body structure
C. A flexible feeding tube that can be retracted into the organism
D. Multiple spines
2. All Loriciferans are –
Single cellular B. Multicellular
Colorful D. Hungry
3. What is the level of classification for Loriciferans?
A. Kingdom B. Phylum
C. Genus D. Species
All of these are places Loriciferans can be found EXCEPT –
artic ocean sands
ocean coastal deposits
D. in the needles of pine trees
5. Who invented Loriciferans?
A. Reinhardt Kristensen, a Smithsonian Postdoctoral Fellow
B. Carl Linnaeus, a Postdoctoral Fellow
C. Feras Feras, a Lorci Postdoctoral Fellow
D. A Postdoctoral Fellow
6. Loriciferans are most closely associated with an --
a. glacier c. ocean
b. river D. storm
7. What is the source of energy for Loriciferans?
A. Snow C. Phyla
B. Meiofauna D. Cars
8. Which of these is the most important phylum?
9. Loricifera larvae 1 and 2 are moving toward the grain of sand. If they start at the same time and arrive at the next grain of sand at the same moment, which one moved the fastest?
A. 2 moved faster than 1
B. 1 moved faster than 2
C. 1 and 2 moved at the same speed
D. 1 moved slower than 2
10. Which of these is not a characteristic of the producers Loriciferas eat?
They are able to make their own food.
They lack photosynthetic pigments.
They do not require carbon dioxide at night.
They give off oxygen when it is not dark.
10. What type of fauna is most appealing to Loriciferans?
A. deer B. meiofauna
C. fish D. flowers
11. Loriciferans are approximately 0.3 mm long. If 8 loriciferans were placed side by side they would extend approximately how many millimeters?
A. 0.1 mm
B. 2.4 mm
C. 5.5 mm
D. 1.6 mm
12. Which of the following pieces of equipment would you use to calculate the density of the water surrounding the sand in which the Loriciferans live?
Balance and graduated cylinder
Graduated cylinder and burner
Thermometer and balance
Balance and volumetric flask
13. Which of these is the main function of the ovaries of adult Loriciferans?
14. What is the function of the protonephridium?
A. Produce digestive enzymes
B. To eliminate metabolic waste
C. To pump blood
D. Act as a primitive eye
15. What type of compounds have a multitude of different functions in Loriciferans including providing structural support within cells and catalyzing chemical reactions and facilitating diffusion through the plasma membrane and allowing cell recognition through its unique structure?
A. mitochondria B. proteins
C. ribosomes D. cells
16. In the Loriciferans ecosystem energy flows from producers to primary consumers to Loriciferans. More energy flows from producers to primary consumers in the Loriciferans ecosystem than in a forest ecosystem where there is thick vegetation. Why is this?
A Forest plants receive more sunlight than aquatic photosynthetic organisms.
B Plants in forests put more energy into wood and other hard-to-digest biomass.
C Animals in oceans perform less cellular respiration than animals in forests.
D Producers are less able to harvest the light energy in forests than in oceans.